Thursday, January 31, 2013

Email Etiquette

Like many people these days, I write and receive a lot of email.  It has become the go-to communication source because of its speed and convenience, and it's a pretty easy communication medium to use.  So yea, email is great.  But some of the people writing emails?  Not so great. 

I've been writing letters, notes, cards, all sorts of different messages for a long time.  And regardless of the purpose of the message or who I am writing to, I always try to adhere to a certain amount of etiquette in each one.  Maybe it's just my personality style, maybe it's just an inborn habit at this point, but I feel like that's just the right thing to do.  There are just certain things that you should and should not do, in emails especially, because they are either inappropriate or they just downright annoying.  Allow me, please, to elaborate. 

Email Response--do it in a timely manner
I usually give myself 24 hours to respond to an email, or to at least acknowledge that I have received the message and am working on an appropriate response.  Obviously there are some instances where this rule doesn't apply, but as a general guideline I think 24 hours is acceptable.  I truly cannot stand people who like to make you wait, and wait, and wait for an email response.  I understand that things come up.  I understand that people go out of town (which, subsequently, are what out of office replies are for).  But I don't think it's asking too much for at least an acknowledgement, a quick reply of "I'll get back with more detail on such and such a date."  Sure, they probably won't get back to you on that date, but at least you know they received your message and are (you hope) working on a reply.  This is a little something I like to call "good manners."  
Carbon Copy--use wisely.  No really, use WISELY
There is nothing more annoying than being involved in an email chain of communication that has absolutely nothing to do with you.  I will sometimes get copied on messages that I spend a full five minutes looking at, wondering why the hell someone felt I needed to be involved with a topic that doesn't apply to me.  Then of course comes the internal struggle.  Do I respond to this message?  Do they expect me to respond?  Should I save this for future reference?  And the one question that really gets to me....Did I forget about something really important?

Reply All--it's pretty self explanatory.  So think before you click. 
This one kind of ties in with the carbon copy issue.  Nobody wants to get a million and one replies to a message that was sent to a million and one people.  Especially with the responses are all directed at one person in the group.  This comes into play a lot with List Servs....and with people who just don't think before clicking that "reply all" button.  Seriously folks, unless your question or thought is directed at the entire group, stick to a one-on-one response. 

Niceties--don't be afraid to use them
I'm not saying your email needs to be overflowing with compliments and kiss ass phrasing, but is it really so hard to close with a "Thank you!"  Or "Have a nice day!"  Something....you know, nice??  It always rubs me the wrong way when I receive a message that doesn't contain anything like this.  It's just so clinical, and reading emails like this make people sound a bit rude, which I'm sure isn't the tone they were going for.  I try to keep this in mind and not take it personal, but it always makes me feel better when there is some kind of pleasantry either at the beginning or the end of a message.  I don't care if it's genuine or just going through the motions.  It's email, for goodness sake.  I can't tell the difference. 

Use A Signature--it sounds silly, but it makes such a difference
Want to have a phone conversation with the person you have been emailing the past couple weeks?  Need to fax them something, or send something in the mail?  All these things are so much easier to do if the information is included in the email signature.  It saves so much time and frustration, especially if you have to go back and contact someone months after the fact.  That email signature can sometimes be a saving grace.  

Double Check Your Recipients--it could save your job
This is more of a guideline than an annoyance.  I use Outlook for my work email, which is handy because it remembers the email addresses of anyone I have ever, ever sent a message to.  Of course, if you aren't paying attention you could end up inserting an email address that is similar to the person you meant to message.....but is actually a completely different person.  Do yourself a favor and double check who you are sending something to.  Even if it's something small, it can still be rather embarrassing.  Also, depending on what and whom you are emailing, it could be detrimental to your job.     

No comments:

Post a Comment