Monday, January 28, 2013

Alone time


All marriages consist of give and take.  And compromise.  Lots and lots of compromise.  One of the truths I have come to accept about my marriage is that Dean will not eat tuna and noodles.  It's not a dish he enjoys, and anytime I even mention the words "tuna" and "noodles" in the same sentence a discernible scowl takes over his face.  Let's just say the food brings back some childhood memories in which he ate way too much Tuna Helper.  Apparently it scarred him for life. 

So.  I have a husband who hates tuna and noodles, while I on the other hand love this meal.  Maybe I love it now more than I used to because I never get to eat it, but it pains me every time I get a craving and realize that the other person in the house whom I'm feeding won't even touch the stuff.  So to keep the peace and avoid cooking two dinners, this is a meal we generally never have. 

Now, a slight switch in topic that is still related to the tuna and noodles.  I'm sure that most people in most marriages look forward to that ever elusive alone time.  This is that special treat that comes when you don't necessarily want to be separated from your spouse, but because you are you may as well make the best of it.  This is what I will be faced with this weekend, when my husband leaves for one night to go ice fishing.  Because my idea of fun does not involve standing on a frozen lake in the middle of winter waiting hours for a fish to bite, I will be staying home with my beagles, and taking full advantage of my alone time. 

Number one thing at the top of my list, you may ask?  Cooking up a batch of tuna and noodles.  With Dean off playing in the ice, I have free reign of the kitchen and can cook my tuna and noodles without any judgements or complaints.  I can also finally start watching the third season of Downton Abbey and have a marathon reading session without any interruptions, or requests to change the channel because somewhere on some station a sports program is probably playing. 

Please don't mistake my words for complaining.  I'm simply pointing out the wonderfulness of alone time, and how even when we love our husbands/wives, it's still nice to have some time that is strictly for us, when we don't have to compromise or worry about giving and taking, but instead can just focus on ourselves and have that third helping of tuna and noodles while we wait to find out whether Bates is going to be released from prison (which, my sources tell me, has not happened yet.....)

Every now and then, everyone needs a tiny morsel of alone time.  For me, one night is just enough time to start missing my husband and start getting excited for his return home.  It's also just enough time to gorge on tuna and noodles before I'm ready to again start cooking husband approved dinners. 

It's the little things like this that make life grand.  

No comments:

Post a Comment