Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Scent fixation


It's really no big surprise that I ended up with two beagles.  Not only are they absolutely adorable (like me), a bit stubborn (also like me), but they are above all else obsessed with scents and smelling.....which is 100% absolutely like me.  

When I say I am obsessed with scents I don't just mean that I like things that smell pretty, which I do, but I also mean that I have the ability to weed out certain smells with what I like to think is comparable to the skills of a drug sniffing dog.  (On a side note, I feel somewhat strange and possibly a little dorky comparing myself to dogs.  Please don't take this comparison too literally).  But for reals, I have a great smelling ability and am, shall we say, sensitive to the various odors that are often in the air.

Consequently, my obsession with scents kind of drives my husband nuts.  I buy Febreze and other room deodorizers like they're going out of style, in fact I usually have at least one bottle in all the major rooms of the house.  But my real weakness comes with Wallflowers and I have a different one plugged in in all but a few rooms of my house.  I love these things, even though one time some spilled oil from one of these devices ate through some of the varnish on my kitchen table.  Whatever.  That's why we have tablecloths, right?

Candles are another fave.  Sometimes Dean will actually count how many candles I have out just in the upstairs of our house, and at certain times of the year the number is a bit staggering.  Of course the only candles I buy are scented ones, and of course I don't see the silliness of burning a scented candle on top of having a Wallflower scent plugged in.  It creates this wonderful mesh mash potpourri of delectable fragrances, and puts my nose on sensory overload.  Seriously, it's like a drug.   

Yes, I am a scentaholic (yet another made up word).  Much like my dogs I live by my nose and if you ever come to visit my house I hope the different smells that prevail from room to room aren't too much for you to handle.  At times I feel like some kind of scent mixologist.....I'm constantly looking for and experimenting with the perfect blend between all the smells.  And by the way, don't they pay people to do that sort of thing?  I fear my talents are being wasted.         

No comments:

Post a Comment