Friday, January 4, 2013

Another new year, but not much new




Welcome to 2013!  Yes, I realize I'm four days late on that sentiment, but since we're still in the first week of the new year I figure it still counts. 

I am on vacation until Monday and have definitely started to grow a bit sad by my impending return to work.  Here's an extremely obvious statement: it's very, very hard to willingly go back to work after two weeks off and I can already tell my stomach muscles will be tightened to the extreme when my alarm goes off Monday morning.  Vacations are great in the beginning, but after a few days one definitely falls into a "I'm never going back to work ever again" mindset, which really makes the end of vacation and the inevitable return to work even harder to deal with. 

Not to be a total downer with this post, but I was taking down my Christmas decorations a couple days ago, and the whole process left me feeling incredibly melancholy.  It was depressing having to take apart the Christmas tree (yes, it's fake, and no, I do not approve), take down my Christmas countdown calendar, my Santa Clauses, the garland, not to mention all the lights that were strung around our windows.  The more items I boxed up, the more depressed I became.  My house looks so bare now, and I figure that if the holidays are now officially over it may as well be summertime again, right?

I didn't make any New Year's resolutions this year, mainly because I am continuing to focus on the same items that I've posted about on this site time and time again.  Writing is still at the top of the list, as well as happiness in general.  I've been very focused lately on little ways to improve my personal happiness, and I'm trying to hone in on the small, everyday things I either do or don't do that play a part on my mental attitude.  I don't mean to suggest that I'm an unhappy person, but there are always improvements that can be made and I want to continue to focus on how to make that happen.  One gift that I received which I am particularly excited to start writing in is a Gratitude Journal.  Each day gives you a different writing exercise to complete which focuses on the things in your life you are grateful for, or the things that make you happy about your life.  I love this idea oh so very much and think it will really help to adjust my perception on things when I'm feeling particularly negative.  I'm a firm believer in perception altering any given situation, and having a daily reminder to focus on the good things and people in my life will be refreshing. 

On that note, here's a few wonderful things I was fortunate to enjoy over my two week hiatus.  Dog walks with my husband and my mom, a most enjoyable Christmas evening with the Plucker family up at the ranch, visiting with my cousin who just returned home from Afghanistan, a New Year's Eve dance party in the living room with my husband and our two very good friends, catching up on some reading, and visiting my sister and a couple other close friends in Seattle this weekend.  And these were just a few of my favorite things. 

      

No comments:

Post a Comment