Thursday, January 10, 2013

Yay for introverts!


One of my friends posted this video on Facebook today (link is below), and it naturally got me thinking about my self-proclaimed status as an introvert.  I felt so empowered listening to this woman talk about introverts, their qualities, and how our society shouldn't be discouraging these traits but should instead embrace the people who possess them because they are, in fact, quite valuable.  

I guess watching this got me all excited because I could 100% relate to what she was saying.  I found myself nodding along and in my head thinking, "Yes, yes, YES!!"  It was like she knew me and my personality without ever meeting me.  I find that very refreshing.  I also find it refreshing to hear someone talking about being an introvert as a positive thing.  As in not negative.  As in not something that needs to be changed.  I can't count how many times in my life I have been told I'm too quiet, too withdrawn, too much of a reader, not social enough, and so on and so forth.  And the thing is, I'm never these things all the time.  Sometimes I am loud and obnoxious.  Sometimes I crave a night out with friends and interesting strangers.  But the majority of the time I happen to be perfectly content with my solitude, and that is not a bad thing. 

Whether you are an extrovert or an introvert, I think you should watch the video and give the speaker's words some thought.  I could go on and on about the great points that were made in the video, but since I've posted the link below you can go ahead and check them out for yourself.  

And let me just say again how happy I was to watch this.  I feel completely inspired to embrace my introversion and not feel ashamed by its qualities.  They do not diminish me in any way, in fact they should be seen as strengths and not weaknesses.  So from now on, that's exactly how I plan to treat them.  


No comments:

Post a Comment