Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Stop the spinning


Remember being a little kid, and playing the spinning game?  Maybe it wasn't really much of a game, but I always used to get a thrill out of it.  The rules were simple.  You spin around as fast as you can for as long as you can and try not to end up on the floor.  The whole spinning thing itself was thrilling because you would start out slow, gradually gaining speed, and before long you could barely control how fast you were going, in fact it was often difficult for your feet to keep up with the rest of your body.  As a kid, this was entertainment.  As an adult, this is nauseating. 

I am absolutely a control freak, and I have a really hard time relying on others to get things done as opposed to just doing them myself.  This also means I'm not the most patient person in the world.  In fact the waiting game drives me to the brink of insanity. Literally.  Insanity. 

Right now I feel like I am at the beginning of the spinning game.  Things are starting out slow and while I'm trying to get ahead with various projects, I am also playing the waiting game which (to my ultimate frustration) I'm afraid is going to ultimately destroy me.  Pretty soon I know I'm going to be smack dab in the middle of the spins....where the speed keeps increasing and I'm trying desperately to keep up.  I'm also afraid that I won't be able to keep up, and will end up flat on my face. 

How did you like that analogy?

Because of my well known history to over think and over analyze, I'm hoping that I'll get my act together soon and feel a bit more in control (there's that word again....)  Something is just off right now and I can't seem to stop myself from stressing out and worrying about every little thing.  Normally I can take this stuff in stride, with confidence and a more or less positive attitude, but these past few weeks have been unnecessarily rough, and I feel like I've had a permanent knot in my stomach, overly exhausted from worry. 

I realize this is all a bit vague, and for those who crave details I'm sorry I'm not disclosing them.  Rest assured that story is not juicy, or even very interesting.  Basically it all comes back to work, and we know how much fun it is to listen to someone whine about their job, which is why I'm not going down that road.  

So yes, work is the short answer to the reason I'm feeling this way, but underneath I think there's more.  Yes, there are things on the surface that are causing me to feel this lack of control and constant worry, but something tells me there are things under the surface that could be contributing as well.  I just hope I'm able to get everything resolved before the spinning really starts.  

1 comment: