Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Real clothes vs. fake clothes


I love shopping.  And while I don't do it as often as I would like, I get such a high off of purchasing new clothes.  It's so inspiring, the act of updating ones wardrobe.  And then comes the fun of mix and matching outfits, experimenting with new styles and trends, then growing bored and doing the whole thing all over again.

Yes, I love clothes, shoes, and dressing to the nines, but sometimes what I love even more is not getting dressed.  Well, that's not technically the right way to phrase that sentiment.  I love getting dressed, just not in what are considered by most to be "real clothes."  To me, real clothes are the ones I would wear to work, or out to dinner, or to an event.  You know, socially acceptable, slightly hip, and carefully coordinated.  Fake clothes, on the other hands, are the ones that more often than not bring me the most comfort and joy.  These would be my beloved sweat pants, yoga pants, t-shirts, and workout gear.  These are the sweatshirts and Under Armour sleeves, and one of my most favorite items, the fuzzy warm slipper socks.  It is impossible to have too many pairs of them.

Obviously I get dressed in real clothes for work, although Friday is usually a wild card.  But within 15 minutes of walking inside the house at the end of the work day, I'm dressed down and have traded my form fitting pants for something with an elastic waist band.  I will rarely, rarely, RARELY stay in real clothes if I'm just going to be lounging around the house.  This rule is heavily enforced on the weekends, which at time I know drives my husband crazy.  He comes from a family that believes in getting dressed for the day, even if there's nothing on the agenda aside from doing things around the house.  Me on the other hand, if I know I'm not going anywhere I keep the sweatpants on.  All.  Day.  Long.  It just makes sense, doesn't it?  I like to think that this doesn't make me lazy, just practical 

I feel like a walking contradiction most of the time, because I do enjoy dressing up and going places, and yet sometimes my favorite part of the evening is getting home and throwing on the first oversized t-shirt I can find.  I don't pretend to know why this is the case, it just is what it is.

A cute dress and a killer pair of heels can do wonders for upping my confidence, and my overall feeling of awesomeness.  But sometimes I feel just as if not more amazing in my running shoes and Nike Dri-Fit t-shirt.  What can I say.....variety is the spice of life.     

No comments:

Post a Comment