Thursday, January 26, 2012

Happy Birthday!


Today is my husband's birthday.  This is the ninth of Dean's birthdays that I have had the joy and the honor to celebrate with him.  Nine.  As in almost ten.  As in almost a decade.  As in where the hell as the time gone?

If you have been tuning into my posts on a somewhat regular basis you already are aware that Dean received his birthday present early, so alas, I am like the Little Drummer Boy with no gift to bring......except for the edible kind.  Last night I baked red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting, and tonight after we more than likely go out to dinner we will come home and feast on these sinfully sugary, delicious creations until we can stand it no more.  My sweet tooth can hardly wait.

Dean never gets too excited about his birthday, or at least not outwardly excited.  Of course, for those of you who know Dean this more or less describes his demeanor on a day to day basis.  In a way, my husband and I are like two sides to two very different coins.  He seems to wear a perma-Poker face while I am forever displaying my emotions.  Except of course when it comes to sports.  If you want to see emotion you should have seen his face last weekend as we were watching the Giants vs. 49'ers game.....now that really put him through the ringer.    

I for one see birthdays as a wonderful time to remind people how much we care about them and appreciate their role in our lives.  To celebrate them and all their wonderful qualities.  And when it comes to wonderful qualities, my husband has quite a surplus.

When I met Dean we were both just kids in college, trying to navigate our way through the chaos that inevitably comes with being a young adult.  I knew from the first night I met Dean that we were going to be together for a long time.  I also knew after that first meeting that he was one of the most wonderful, decent people I had ever met.  Maybe that sounds unconvincing, and maybe some of you out there are rolling your eyes, but it's the truth.   

I've loved Dean almost since the day I met him, for a lot of big reasons and for hundreds of smaller ones.  I love him for his honesty, his thoughtfulness, and his seemingly never-ending patience.  I love that when I am anxious and freaking out about one thing or another he is there to calm me down, to always keep his cool.   

I love my husband for not being afraid to speak his mind, for being someone who is not afraid to point out wrongdoing and work to make amends.  I love that when we fight he forces me to talk things out so we don't  go to bed angry, that he is always willing to go the extra mile, to lend a helping hand, to not shy away from something he wants just because it might require some work.   I love that he's not afraid to be silly and spontaneous, that he's able to admit mistakes. 

What I love the most, what I am most excited about, is that we are on a journey together.  We have come so far since that first night we met, and have grown together as individuals and as a couple.  We are building a life, a family, a home together that might not always be perfect, but that has been filled with so much happiness I wouldn't trade a single day for anything.  I am thankful for my husband because he makes me a better person, and instills in me a confidence that no matter what challenges we might face, we will come through it all still in love and still together. 

So happy birthday to my one and only.  Here's to you and everything you are and have yet to become.  I love you more each and every day.    


No comments:

Post a Comment