Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What is your dream job?


On one of my job interviews as a college student I was asked a fun question.  What is your dream job?  Now, as a college student my dream job was anything that would pay above minimum wage and allow me to work flexible hours, preferably not on the weekends.  Furthermore, why this question had any relevance at all for a job that entailed janitorial work at the Student Recreation Center I have no idea.  But ask the question they did, which meant I had no choice but to come up with a creative answer. 

I really love when I am able to surprise myself, because that is exactly what happened in this particular situation.  This was a question I had never given much thought to, and while I knew it was a reality I would soon have to face the whole idea of working after college was still a foreign concept to me.  Which is why when I opened my mouth to answer this question (and rather quickly, too), I was amazed at what I said. 

My dream job was to own and operate a used bookstore.  Those of you who know me well are probably thinking, "Well, DUH!" But I was stunned by the assurance of my answer, the conviction of the words, and the light bulb that instantly turned on in my head.  In truth my interviewers were somewhat shocked by my answer (possibly impressed?) and proceeded with some follow-up questions.  Well, just one question really.  Why?

Hmmmm.....why indeed.  Well for starters, I love books.  Not just the act of reading but just books in general.  They are (even the bad ones) parallel worlds made up of powerful words, images, ideas, and information.  Books are a thing to be treasured, to be passed down through time, to be studied, and to inspire.  (Note:  I did not say these exact words during my interview, but given a few years to ponder the question I have since expanded on the answer).  Aside from the books themselves, there is just something so enticing about used bookstores.  The search for the perfect book, the discovery of a long forgotten favorite, and the satisfaction of finding something you weren't even looking for.  

I feel like this is something I could be truly happy doing.  My entire life there have been two things which have consistently made me truly happy, and that is reading and writing.  I realize there would be more to this ambition than meets the eye, since a lot more goes into running a business than putting some books on a shelf and assuming people will come snatch them all up.  But the notion, the very idea that this is something I would actually wake up in the morning and WANT to do.....that is something I cannot ignore.  

On the front page of Monday's newspaper was the announcement that after 30 years a local bookstore owner was planning to retire and was hoping to sell the business, preferable to someone who would continue to run it as a bookstore.  I read the article, folded up the paper, and thought back to those five loaded words. 

What is your dream job?

I'm not in college anymore.  I feel like I know what my dream job is.  And now I see this article.  I've never been one to believe in signs.....but is this a call to action of some kind?  Is it time to consider doing something risky?     

My head is suddenly filled with questions and I don't have definite answers.  I feel like my entire life I have made a point to be practical and safe.  And now?  Now I'm ready to try a new approach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment