Monday, March 28, 2011

The Facebook fast


Last week I was a bit of a Facebook junkie.  I was logging in on my computer, on my phone, posting status updates at 1 a.m., and trolling the News Feed for signs of activity from my friends. 

Over the weekend I had a mini-intervention and have decided to undertake what I feel is a very important experiment. 

I will not, I repeat, NOT log into Facebook for at least a week.  No status updates, no looking at pictures, I am officially on a Facebook Fast. 

I want to see exactly how much more productive I am when not wasting away on this social media site.  I also want to see if I can detect any direct correlation between not using Facebook and my overall happiness.  Sometimes when I get sucked into the Facebook vortex I will spend way too much time clicking from one profile to the next, searching for group and business pages, only to suddenly look at the clock and realize 30 minutes have gone by and I completely forgot about the thing I was reminding myself to do before I logged in and became enamored with photos and status updates.   This leaves me feeling frustrated, and in a rush to get things done to make up for the time I just wasted doing absolutely nothing on Facebook.

I am curious....will there be withdrawal symptoms?  Will I find myself asking other people to update me on Facebook activity?  Will my absence from the social media giant even be noticed by others?  The answers to these vexing questions will make themselves known as the week goes on.

I'm sure on the grand spectrum this Facebook avoidance isn't really going to affect my daily life one way or the other.  I'm already 4 hours into my experiment and so far my day has moved along relatively smooth, in fact for being only 12:20 I have already accomplished quite a bit for a Monday work day.  

Hmmmm.....maybe the positive side effects are already starting to show?   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment