Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Facebook Fast: Day 2

Day two of my Facebook fast didn't start out as smoothly as day one.  Upon arriving at work I did my standard perusing of blogs, checking email, and making my To-Do list for the day.  But I had to fight, and I mean really fight against my finger wanting to click the mouse over the Facebook icon.  

In a way I felt almost left out.  Left out of whatever might be happening in the online world that I might want to know about, that I might need to be a part of.

Then I wondered exactly what that something could possibly be.  Besides, wasn't my involvement in Facebook limited to more of a voyeuristic nature?  Don't I subscribe to the notion of learning what I could about others, but not revealing too much about myself?

Regardless of what I think I might be missing out on, I have fought temptation and am still living a Facebook-free day.  In all honestly I feel kind of silly about this confession.  In fact this entire experiment reeks of silliness and utter ridiculousness.  Not logging into a website for a week?  How hard can that be?  

As I am quickly discovering it's harder than it sounds.  This leads me to believe that Facebook, that the simple act of logging into this site every day (usually multiple times), is an addiction.  It's a conditioned response for me every time I sit down at my computer.  Check the email, check the news headlines, log into Facebook.  Respond to some emails, check the bank balance, log into Facebook.  


At this stage in the game this I am still making the conscious choice to abstain from Facebook.  I'm hoping by the end of the week it will just be a natural tendency. 

No comments:

Post a Comment