Friday, February 25, 2011

The value of time


On a daily basis I usually get the feeling that I don't have enough time.  The hours of the day will either rush or creep, but the end result is still the same.  

There just isn't enough time to do all the things I want to do.  

More and more in my life I have come to appreciate the value of time, and having more of it at my disposal.  A day off from work means hours of endless possibilities, where I will finally have the chance to accomplish all those things I am always putting off, saving for a rainy day if you will.  A weekend with no set plans means two days of freedom to lounge around and read a book, or tackle a time consuming (and scary) home project such as cleaning out my closets.  

Just having the option of time is a luxury I no longer take for granted.  Because what I have found to be true, especially since entering the world of working full-time, is that things come up.  Responsibilities are always looming.  And sometimes whether you like it or not, your work follows you home. 

I encourage all of us to embrace the hours that belong solely to us.  To view the free time we have earned as an opportunity, an adventure, or a much needed escape.

The days of our lives are long, but the years are short (thank you, Gretchen Rubin).  And within those days that make up those years we have nothing but time.  Time to work, play, love, cry, and contemplate.  Time to plan, to dream, and to achieve.  There are some hours, some days, that may not belong entirely to us.  But for those hours and days that do, we would do ourselves a favor to embrace them.  To relish them. 

To live them.  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment