Thursday, February 10, 2011

In anticipation of things to come....

I have posted before about anticipation.  About how the build up to something can raise our happiness level and help us to maintain a positive attitude.

The sun is shining today, the sky is a magnificent shade of blue, and I am now hopeful that spring is actually getting closer and not just a figment of my imagination.  I believe it is safe to say I am anticipating its arrival with open arms. 

With that in mind, I have decided to share a list of some other things I am currently anticipating, both with the arrival of spring and the progression of time in general.  

  1. Margaret George's latest book, Elizabeth 1.  With George being my most favorite author of historical fiction, and Elizabeth being one of history's most captivating characters, I cannot wait for April 5th to arrive so I can begin enjoying what I am sure will be a truly fantastic book.
  2. Karaoke Revolution: Glee.  What do I love to do?  That's right, sing.  What show do I absolutely love?  That's right, Glee.  I believe this one is pretty self-explanatory.
  3. Running many, many miles outside.  I get kind of stir crazy if I have to exercise indoors for too long.  I like to be outdoors, which is why even though I am not a very effective long distance runner, I am still more than ready to lace up and start going for runs outside.  I can't wait to feel the heat of the sun beating down and take in the smells of warm grass, dirt, and outside air.  Ahhhh.....the elliptical machine has nothing on this.
  4. Gardening.  Last spring/summer was my first attempt at being a legit gardener.  While I still have a ways to go, I am determined this year to step up my game and put in some effort to revolutionize my yard.  I have plans, people, and I am ready to dig my hands into the awful clay soil which inhabits my flower beds and make things grow.
  5. Cannon Beach.  So I have awhile to wait on this one, but the second week in August I will disappear to what is perhaps my most favorite place in the entire world....Cannon Beach, Oregon.  I cannot wait to feel the heat of the sand on my bare feet, listen to the crashing waves, explore the tide pools around Haystack Rock, and take the beagles for long walks on the shore.
  6. Barbecues and dinner outside.  Funny how a lot of these have to do with the weather.  In any case, when it does warm up and one doesn't need a ski parka just to go outside, Dean and I will both cook and eat our meals outside on the deck.  This is by far my favorite way to end the day.  Food just tastes better outside, with a sunset, and beagles down playing in the yard.
  7. Second and third drafts.  I really used to hate finishing a story and then having to start on second, third, sometimes fourth drafts.  I'm a perfectionist, I like to get it right on the first try.  But since this is usually impossible, I have over the years come around the the idea that the draft phase of writing should be embraced, since it's only going to make the story stronger (hopefully).  Soon I will be ready to start on second drafts of two stories, and a third draft of another.  Excited to the max.
     
  8. Spring release wine tasting.  I pretend to be a wino, because even though I do love wine I'm definitely not an expert by any stretch of the imagination.  But one does not have to be an expert to enjoy a good weekend of wine tasting, which is why this year I plan on being down in Walla Walla for spring release weekend.  Cute spring dress, even cuter shoes, yummy wine, and most likely dinner out on the town.  Yes please!               

No comments:

Post a Comment