Thursday, July 15, 2010

Anniversary at Home

Hard to believe, but the hubby and I are fast approaching our one year anniversary.  It's exciting and a bit unbelievable to think that an entire year has gone by already, which I think is more or less the standard sentiment all couple exclaim during any anniversary.

The author of one of my favorite blogs, Gretchen Rubin of "The Happiness Project," has a splendid truth which states that the days are long but the years are short.  So appropriate when applied to describing marriage. 


Obviously there has been some discussion of an anniversary trip.  An exotic locale would be most desirable, a road trip with no itinerary, camping in the serenity of nature....or just staying at home.

I have always been a firm believer in the art of celebration.  Cakes for one's birthday, family vacations in the summer, and cards and presents to loved ones at Christmastime.  Naturally, I felt that a nice little getaway in honor of our first year as husband and wife was more than appropriate.  However, if there's one thing my man and I have in common it is our tendency to procrastinate, which means we didn't even start discussing vacation possibilities until this week.  Couple that with the fact that we are trying to save up money for looming home improvement projects, we would need to locate a sitter for the beagles, and that we haven't had a nice lazy weekend since the beginning of June, and you have a recipe for an anniversary at home.

I'm not opposed to the idea at all.  But I feel pressure, as if the anniversary is somehow more symbolic than the wedding we partook in just a year ago.  Like if I fail at planning the idealic weekend I will regret it for the rest of my life. 

Obviously I know deep down that this isn't the case.  But it's hard for me to wrap my mind around the idea of a muted celebration for such a momentous occassion.  It's just not my style.  

Then again, the idea of waking up in my bed with a weekend of no plans, no commitments, and endless possibilities is also a bit enticing.  Staying up late and waking up early for no particular reason, finally finding the time to do things around the house that we always say we "should" do but always seem to be too busy, laying out in the sun with a good book, maybe even partaking in an afternoon siesta.  

The more I think about it, the more I think an anniversary at home could definitely have it's strong points.  It almost seems more appropriate to quietly celebrate our first year of marriage in the home we are building together, day by day, slowly but surely.

Overall, the real celebration point of an anniversary is togetherness.  I guess as long as we have that going for us any location will work.       

No comments:

Post a Comment