Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Unstructured time


During the week I have a more or less set schedule.  Because nothing ever runs according to plan there are always slight variances here and there, but for the most part I stick to the same routine.  I wake up.  I feed my dogs.  I make my husband a lunch.  I work out.  I get ready for work.  I go to work.  Around 12:30 or 1 p.m. I go home for lunch, or try and squeeze in my weekly trip to the grocery store.  I go back to work.  I go home around 5.  I work outside if the weather is nice, walk the dogs, then eventually start making dinner.  I eat dinner.  I read the paper, a book, a magazine.....I read something.  I clean up the kitchen, the living room, whatever is messy and is going to bug me the most if I don't clean it before bed.  I watch TV and snuggle with my dogs on the couch.  I start falling asleep on the couch, and decide it's time for bed.  Looking at it all written out doesn't look that exciting, but on the whole it manages to keep me (at least slightly) entertained. 

I have a feeling that my schedule, like most other people's schedules, is very structured during the week.  Because a lot of us have to spend eight hours of our weekdays at work, we more or less have to set some kind of timeline for our off the clock hours to try and fit in everything it is we want to do.  A common mantra for me during the week is always, "I wish I had all day to do what I want to do."

Which, I suppose, is why we have the weekends.  That beacon of hope at the end of the work week that promises us wonderful, glorious things, then is here and gone always way too soon.  I sometimes run into trouble with the weekends, which I realize sounds like a very odd thing to say, but the truth is sometimes I have a hard time deciding what it is I should......do.  It's two days that belong completely to me, time that can be used at my own discretion, and sometimes I have a really hard time figuring out how to spend it.  It can be hard for me to move forward and function without a plan.  I like itineraries and step by step instructions, so two days of unstructured time can mess with my mind a little bit. 

I've always tried to convince myself that unstructured time is great.  I can do whatever I want to do simply because I don't have to do anything else.  This is true to an extent, except when I can't decide on how to spend the time and end up wasting it instead.  Unless of course I make the conscious decision to waste time, in which case that's totally acceptable.  I guess that's just my personality and maybe there's no way around that fact.  Maybe I will always just need some type of plan, some sort of action list in order to enjoy my time away from work.  I feel I'm in an interesting situation where I crave the freedom of the weekend, but the structure of my week. 

Is it some kind of oxymoron to crave freedom and structure, or is it possible for the two to coexist?  I'm sure to some degree there has to be an overlap, and perhaps that's where I need to be in order to fully take advantage of time, and not feel like it's disappearing before my very eyes.     

No comments:

Post a Comment