Thursday, June 27, 2013

And it only took 28 years.....

 


I've been writing for what feels like forever.  I've been writing diaries, journals, school assignments, newspaper articles, creative fiction, this blog, to-do lists, poems, and scores of other items pretty much since I learned how to read and write.  I've received compliments before from teachers, classmates, and family members, which always makes one feel good, but yesterday, I received what I consider my first real positive accolade from a member of the general public.
 
I had someone tell me that an article I wrote really spoke to them, that it made them pause and examine themselves, and they could see how what I wrote about related to them.  This person told me they read my article several times over, that they were amazed how much they related to it, and how it helped them realize things about their own personality.  They said it was well written, interesting, and a real pleasure to read.
 
It only took me 28 years, but in that moment I felt like a real writer.  I felt like I had really accomplished something with my words, even if those words only resonated with one person.  I had impacted someone, had helped them to see themselves differently, and held their attention enough that they read my article not once, but three times in a row.

I often don't even read my own material that many times.   
 
I will never, ever forget that feeling.  It was empowering, it was something that I had always wanted to do with the words I put to paper (or computer screen).  It was a reminder of what writing is supposed to do.  It's supposed to reach out and touch someone.  To spark their imagination, their curiosity, their intellect.  It also reminded me that words should not be taken for granted.....because they do have power.  It reminded me that even though I'm often frustrated with this blog, with my stories, with my seeming lack of productivity and growth as a writer, that maybe this all isn't in vain.  In that moment I felt a surge of hopefulness.....maybe I'm not wasting my time.  Maybe if I keep at this I can really make it happen.

I realize that in the grand scheme of things I still have a long ways to go, but it sure felt good to hear those words, to have a reader relate their experience to me.  And experience that was brought about because of something I wrote.  I'm not trying to sound braggy......I guess I just can't come up with an eloquent way to express what this meant to me.  I've dreamt of being a writer all my life, and it scares and saddens me sometimes to think that it might only ever be just that.  A dream.  But yesterday was something akin to a breakthrough, and I caught a glimpse of what it's like to have your words make an impact on another human being.

And you want to know a secret?  I kind of liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment