Wednesday, June 27, 2012

On meeting deadlines


I thrive on deadlines.  In fact, I am my most productive self when operating under a looming deadline.  If I think of something to do but don't give myself an end date upon which to complete the task, it can take weeks, maybe even months (dare I say years?) before said task gets accomplished.

I'm not trying to brag, but I don't think I have ever missed a deadline.  Perhaps I should clarify.....never missed an important deadline that would have somewhat detrimental consequences, such as for school or work.  Last weekend when I told myself I would have the bathroom cleaned before leaving for home on Saturday morning, well, let's just say that one fell by the wayside.  But when it comes to my days as a scholarly student and as a civil service employee, I have never had to ask for an extension on a paper or project, and even if I've had to go back and administer touch ups I still manage to deliver a product when it is requested.  No, I'm not Superwoman (technically), I just very much believe in the power of the deadline. 

Is this the way most people operate?  Are deadlines a motivating factor or do they cause panic and impede on the quality of one's work?  I recently started writing for our local newspaper as a volunteer columnist, and submitted my first article for publication on Monday afternoon.  Up until Saturday night I really didn't have a solid idea of what I was going to write about.  Not that I hadn't been thinking about it, I had a number of ideas floating around in my head, but Saturday night the light bulb clicked on and I finally knew exactly what to write.  So I jotted some notes and ideas, then Sunday afternoon I sat down and penned my article.  For me, just knowing that I needed to be ready to write something by Sunday helped me, mentally, in coming around to a decision about my topic.  I wasn't panicked or freaking out because I didn't have anything written yet, in fact I felt more calm because I knew when my time for this project would be up, meaning I didn't have the luxury of making a million excuses. 

Getting things done, and getting them done on time, is something that makes me happy.  I don't like being the person who is always late, forgetful, or can't be depended on to do something.  Giving myself deadlines and adhering to the deadlines that are assigned to me help in this endeavor.

Does a deadline help or hinder you in getting things done?  Do you work better under pressure or do you need unlimited time and space to be productive?      

No comments:

Post a Comment