Thursday, June 28, 2012

On books I'm excited to read


If only there were more hours in the day for me to read.  Better yet, if only I could stay awake more hours each day to read!  Getting to work at 6:30 in the morning really takes its toll after awhile, so by the time evening rolls around and I can finally crack open a book I find that I'm only able to get through a few pages before my eyelids become overwhelmingly heavy.  Truly a sad state of affairs. 

But I am pushing onward, and so far this summer I've managed to put a dent in a number of great reads, although there are still so many out there that I can't wait to sink my teeth (eyes?) into.  New books, older books, I just want to sit in the sunshine, sip on a cold beverage, and devour them all.  Hence, my summer reading wishlist is outlined below.  Whether or not I have the time and the energy to make it through each listed title remains to be seen, but you better believe I'm going to give it my best try.  

Fifth Avenue, 5 a.m.: Audrey Hepburn, Breakfast at Tiffany's, and the Dawn of the Modern Woman--Sam Wasson
This one intrigued me because I love Audrey Hepburn and I love the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's. As stated on Amazon.com--"In this meticulously researched gem of a book, Wasson delivers us from the penthouses of the Upper East Side to the pools of Beverly Hills, presenting Breakfast at Tiffany's as we have never seen it before—through the eyes of those who made it. Written with delicious prose and considerable wit, Fifth Avenue, 5 A.M. shines new light on a beloved film and its incomparable star."

Bring Up the Bodies--Hilary Mantel
Yet another book on the downfall and trial of Anne Boleyn, but I just can't get enough of the scandals that took place in the Tudor court.  This is actually the second book in a series about Thomas Cromwell, who was the chief minister to Henry VIII.  I suppose I should just go ahead and read the first book as well...

We Is Got Him: The Kidnapping That Changed America--Carrie Hagen
A story detailing the first kidnapping for ransom in America.  This book received great reviews for its historical detail, suspenseful pacing, and accurate portrayal of early America.  Being myself a lover of history and all things suspenseful, I figured this one was right up my alley.

Jamaica Inn--Daphne Du Maurier
One of Daphne Du Maurier's more popular titles, I can't wait to finally read this book.  Rebecca is one of my all-time favorites, so I have high hopes for this one as well.  Who wouldn't, after reading this description?--"The coachman tried to warn her away from the ruined, forbidding place on the rainswept Cornish coast. But young Mary Yellan chose instead to honor her mother's dying request that she join her frightened Aunt Patience and huge, hulking Uncle Joss Merlyn at Jamaica Inn. From her first glimpse on that raw November eve, she could sense the inn's dark power. But never did Mary dream that she would become hopelessly ensnared in the vile, villainous schemes being hatched within its crumbling walls -- or that a handsome, mysterious stranger would so incite her passions ... tempting her to love a man whom she dares not trust."  Ahhhhh!!!

Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir--Jenny Lawson
From the author of the wildly popular "The Bloggess" blog, I have read a sample of this book already and it was drop down roll around on the floor funny!  I can't wait to read the rest.

Doc: A Novel--Mary Doria Russell
A novel about Doc Holliday that goes beyond the character portrayed by Val Kilmer in Tombstone.  This book explores Doc's background, his relationship with "Kate," and his well-known friendship with Wyatt Earp.  I'm intrigued. 

Beautiful Ruins--Jess Walter 
Definitely sounds like this book has it all, and I have a feeling the characters in this novel are going to be rich, well-developed, and unforgettable.  Plus, parts of the novel are set on the warm, beautiful, sunny Italian coastline.  I can work with that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment