Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Life is short....turn on some Christmas lights


Perhaps you have noticed the new look that "In My Words" is sporting.  Yes?  No?  First time visiting?  In any case, I was feeling restless with the old look and decided with the new year fast approaching an aesthetic layout change was in order.

Today Christmas is on my mind.....and all the things that go hand-in-hand with the holiday.  Not just the shopping and the giving of gifts, but more specifically the decorating.  Think of all the things we do for Christmas.  We run out and buy live trees to disply in our living rooms, we cover these trees with ornaments of every size, shape, and color, we hang up string of lights in our windows and outside our houses, then on top of everything else we buy all sorts of other decorations to display inside our homes.  Decorating for Christmas alone can sometimes last from the day after Thanksgiving right up until Christmas Eve.  And for some people that still isn't enough time.

Before I get too much further along let me say that I love decorating for all holidays.  I may not have the largest decoration collection, but I make do with what is available.  Of course I am also extremely cheap, which is probably a good thing in some respects, but it also means that it will take me awhile to grow my various decoration collections.

My husband doesn't quite get into the spirit of all-out decorating.  Especially when it comes to the Christmas lights.  He argues that it isn't worth a more expensive electricity bill just to have some colored lights on our house.  Okay, so in realist terms that is probably true.  But I can't buy into it.  For me, Christmas lights, tree, decorations, and everything else are essential. 

Decorating is an element that helps make any holiday more than average.  It sets the scene and amazingly enough can set your mood.  Once all my decorations for Christmas were appropriately displayed, the tree assembled (yes, it's fake) and decorated, the lights hung and plugged in, I felt darn good.  Every night when I come home at 5:00 and it's already pitch black outside, I see my Christmas lights shining bright and feel a little happier inside.  When I'm in my house with my candles burning and illuminating the nativity scene, I can't help but instantly relax.  Sure, part of it is probably the essence of the season, but there is something to be said for WSU Santas and fat snowmen smiling down from the TV stand. 

Is all-out decorating what Christmas is all about?  No.  Is it essential to having the perfect Christmas?  Probably not.  But for some, and for others who might not like to admit it, decorating in any way shape or form just has a way of elevating spirits. 

Would I trade these happy feelings for a lower electricity bill?  Nope.  Sometimes it's worth it to plug in some Christmas lights.    

No comments:

Post a Comment