Wednesday, August 1, 2012

On three years of marriage






August 1, 2009 was the hottest day on record in Walla Walla that summer. At the height of the afternoon the temperature reached 112 degrees. Even the shade offered little in the way of relief.

Around 8 a.m. that morning I was out on the tarmac of the airport watching my Grandpa climb inside a B-17, the type of plane he rode in as a tail gunner during World War II. It was already hot outside, and the heat radiating off the asphalt of the runway didn’t help to cool anything down. It was a big moment, watching my Grandpa climb inside that plane. I watched the sky as the plane rose higher and higher, wondering what he was thinking and feeling. When the plane touched ground and the engines shut off, I watched Grandpa crawl out, smiling from ear to ear. It was beyond special.  The first special and unforgetable moment of the day. 


After snapping some pictures and exchanging a good number of hugs, I was off to Mill Creek Gardens, the site of my wedding which was taking place later that evening. Once the car was unloaded, my dress hanging in the bridal suite, I paced around the room as anxiety slowly started to settle in. My hairdresser hadn’t yet arrived, I worried about the photographer being able to find the venue, the cake getting delivered in a timely manner, and everything else that needed to come together in just a few short hours. Even in the air conditioned room I started to perspire.


Then it all happened at once. My hairdresser came walking through the door, hair and makeup supplies in tow, the photographer arrived a few minutes later and started in on the action shots of getting ready, then my bridesmaids all came walking in with my adorable little flower girls. Before I knew it my hair was pinned and hair sprayed to perfection, my makeup was skillfully applied, and the girls were working together to lace me into my dress. My sister, the maid of honor, helped me with the clasp on my brand new necklace, and with slightly shaky hands I put on my Grandma’s pearl earrings. Suddenly, I was ready. We all were. But before we could jump right into the heart of the main event, there were pictures to be snapped. Tons and tons of pictures.


Dean and I decided we were okay with seeing each other before the ceremony in order to get the bulk of the photos out of the way. However, to still get the “surprise” element the photographer had Dean stand with his back to me out on the porch, then it was up to me to get him turned around. He was standing there, looking incredibly handsome in his tux, and I placed my hand on his shoulder and urged him to turn around to face me. The moment, even though it was set-up, felt so genuine and sincere. We both looked at each other, eyes starting to glisten, and the emotion of the day, the enormity of what we were doing, set in. We smiled and hugged, he told me I looked beautiful, then we started laughing as we both started to dry our eyes.


I have so many wonderful memories of that day; dancing with my Dad and my Grandpa, drinking champagne with my bridesmaids before the ceremony, driving off in the cool summer night in the back of my uncle’s Model T, laughing with our friends and family as we busted a move out on the dance floor, but seeing my future husband for the first time that day was one of the most amazing moments ever. I also remember the feeling of total instant happiness that washed over me after we said our vows, had our first married kiss, and started back down the aisle. I felt so light, so completely and utterly happy, not nervous or worried about the remainder of the event, just so grateful to be in that moment with Dean right next to me.


Today we are officially married for three years. And while our wedding feels like it was just yesterday, a lot has happened and continues to happen as we work to build our life, our home, and our family. Neither of us is perfect, but we are learning how to balance and learn from the imperfections. At our wedding my Aunt Marian gave us some advice that I know I have found to be invaluable: Never go to bed angry. I remind myself of this little tidbit whenever we have an all too common marital spat, and trust me, they are words to live by.


Our wedding day was just the beginning, and looking back it was the absolute best start either of us could have asked for. A day of big moments, laughter, friends, family, and the happiest of tears. Today, as I look back at where we started I’m excited to continue down the road and see where we end up.


I love you, babe. Happy Anniversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment