Thursday, December 3, 2009

To Should or Not to Should

I am not a big fan of the word "should."  I feel that when I use this word in a sentence it is more often than not casting a negative light upon my character.  For example, here's one just off the top of my head:

"I really should stop eating desserts." 

Hmmm....well, immediately I am drawn to the conclusion that, obviously, I enjoy eating desserts and do so on a somewhat regular basis.  However, appartently I need to stop doing this thing which I obviously enjoy (why else would I do it?) because of some probably very good reasons created by people who like to tell me what is and isn't good for me.  The minute I read/speak this sentence about myself there is also a feeling that creeps into my psyche and takes hold of my state of mind.  That feeling is guilt.  Obviously, if I should stop eating desserts it means that what I'm doing is wrong, and don't we all feel guilty when we do things we know are wrong?

Here's my point: too many "shoulds" are not good for a person.  In fact I believe they can be quite detrimental to one's self-esteem.  I don't think there is anything wrong with setting goals or trying to improve upon yourself, that is part of human nature.  But I feel like sometimes we get into a continuous cycle of telling ourselves we need to start or stop doing so many things, and it just becomes too overwhelming. 

There are so many instances where I find myself thinking, "I should want to do this....," or "I should like that...."  But really, there is no substantial reason why.  Maybe I think I should want to always be going to social events because I work in event planning, or maybe I think I should want to move across the country because I have lived in Eastern Washington my entire life.  I don't necessarily not want these things, but I don't think there's any good reason why I should want them, or better yet, feel guilty for not wanting them. 

Case in point, I think we all should strive to be happy and satisfied with ourselves, our lives, and our choices, despite the protests from others and at times even from ourselves.  If that means a few extra desserts, then so be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment