Wednesday, December 2, 2009

And so it begins....

I read recently that blogging is considered pure vanity. The idea all writers have that our words are so important they need, nay, should be shared with a mass audience is in itself born from vain conotations.

It is for this reason alone I have fought so long the urge to blog. Let's be serious, how many people out there would possibly be interested or compelled to read my dwellings on the endless minutia of everyday life? Not to mention the fact that deep inside I have truly been fighting the fear that every writer loathes to the extreme, and this is the fear that once I actually sit down to write something I will discover I have absolutely nothing to say. Some people are scared of spiders, others of snakes, I fear the blank page (and bees, but that's a subject for another time). So finally I decided I would just put myself to the test and find out exactly what was swimming around in my mind that could be captured on paper, or in this case a computer screen. In this way I made the decision to join the blogging world, for better or worse.

I am approaching this as a sort of writing exercise, because I do not entertain any delusions of grandeur that many people besides my immediate family will bother to read these postings. After all, over and over again I have been told that the best way to actually create substantial writing is to write every single day, something I have always struggled with. Perhaps this is a way to ignite my creative spark, or perhaps it will simply turn into another mindless way to amuse myself for 20 minutes a day. Only time will tell.

And as far as the vanity thing goes, I believe that every writer and aspiring writer has to have at least a little bit of vanity when it comes to their work. Otherwise we would all give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment