Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Finding time



There was a middle week between Thanksgiving and the first of December where I felt somewhat suspended between two moments in time.  I wasn't yet ready to plunge headfirst into the Christmas season, and yet I wanted to be ready for it when the time came, so I saw this week of "nothingness" as a time to prepare.  To get ready.  To get all my ducks in a row so I could kick ass and take names when the real craziness of the holidays finally descended.

One week later and I feel like my week of nothing wasn't nearly enough time.  Looking at the calendar that continues to fill up with appointments and things to do, I wonder who we can talk to about inserting a few more hours into each day so that every task is able to be completed.  Not that I'm throwing in the towel and admitting defeat, I just wonder exactly how much of this month I'll actually remember, and how much will turn into a complete blur.

I have pondered before about the subject of time, mainly about how there never seems to be enough to go around.  Although I've also discovered that sometimes even when we do have the time to work on something, to cross an item off the to-do list, we choose to skip it over for one reason or another.  Call it lack of motivation or even basic laziness (there is a difference between the two, right?)

Which is why I am choosing  to find time of waiting for it to appear.  I'm mentally adjusting my schedule, my routine, to find the time to make things happen, especially one particular item that always seems to be on the to-do list but seldom manages to get done.  The writing portion of my schedule now has officially been penciled in, at least for a few days out of the week.  Tuesday and Thursday mornings, along with Saturday and/or Sunday (they're sort of wildcards), I will sit myself down in front of the computer and write words.  Hopefully good ones.  Hopefully ones that make sense.  I decided I'm done with waiting for time to present itself, and by taking this route I feel it's only a matter of time before the regularly scheduled writing time becomes more of a habit rather than an item to check off the list first thing in the morning. 

It's true that up until now my writing habits have been rather flaky, and most of the time I do more talking and thinking about writing than I do in the physical act.  But I feel like I was trying to make myself run a marathon without  partaking in any sort of training.  I told myself I could jump right into something without establishing good habits first, not to mention building up my stamina.  So here I am.  It's now 6:30 in the morning and I've been in front of this screen for about 35 minutes, and it feels so great to have spent my morning getting started on this new schedule, on establishing this new routine.  It feels great to have found the time to make this happen, like I'm one blog post closer to moving forward on the rest of my writing projects that have been hanging in limbo for months.

Sometimes in order to do something we don't just need time itself, but the right time.  I believe this could be true.....don't they say timing is everything?         

No comments:

Post a Comment