Wednesday, February 8, 2012

On eating right



WARNING:  I'm going to every so slightly rant.  If you're not in the mood then check back tomorrow and I'll try and be a bit more neutral.

Here's what's up.  We all know that eating right is like super mucho grande important.  It helps us in our eternal struggle to lose or maintain our weight, to keep our bodies healthy with much needed vitamins and minerals, and it also makes us feel better about ourselves.  I for one feel good and energized when I'm putting the right foods in my body as opposed to an entire box of Oreos.

But sometimes.....don't you just really want to eat the Oreos?  Maybe not an entire box, you're right, that was a huge exaggeration.  Maybe just one delicious chocolatey creme filled row.  Yum to the tenth degree.

Today is just one of those days where I am freaking sick and tired of reading about and hearing people talk about eating healthy.  Please don't take this to mean I'm an anti-fruit and veggie girl, but I feel like every time I turn around I'm getting health food thrown in my face which makes me feel guilty that I'm sitting here at my desk fantasizing about going home and making chocolate pudding.  I'm telling ya, I have a sweet tooth that refuses to quit.

I have read many an article about eating healthy and all the right and wrong ways to diet.  Everything in moderation, blah, blah, blah.  And while I'm the type of person who was not made to diet, I hate that at times I actually feel guilty about the food I want to eat.  Like at lunch today when I knew I should want to make myself a garden salad but instead decided to munch on the 7-layer taco dip leftover from Super Bowl.  Obviously the dip won out, but I could feel my inner self silently chiding away.  I felt bad for maybe a minute.....then I had my first chip loaded with dip and it quickly became a non-issue.

What is the point?  Yes, we always have to have a point, don't we?  Okay, I guess that for some reason today has been one of those days where the endless tirade of healthy eating promos has just gotten under my skin.  We get it.  Eat your fruits, vegetables and whole grains.  I'm on board 100%.  But I refuse to live in a world that wants to make me feel bad about my desire to eat some red velvet cake ice cream for dessert tonight after dinner.  Do you hear me world?  Just lay off already!  Although really, it's not the world and everyone in it that makes me feel those pangs of food guilt, it's me, and the impossibly high standards I set for myself to be a perfect human in all ways.

Oh, and by the way.  Does anyone else sometime get annoyed by people posting about food in their Facebook status updates?  Like somehow they think they're better than the rest of us because they say they are eating a tofu sandwich (if there is such a thing), when in reality they're probably polishing off a Big Mac from McDonalds?  Keep your tofu, friend, I'll stick to my bag of Oreos.     

 

No comments:

Post a Comment