Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Reading urges


I don't know what it is about summer, but during this warm and wonderful season I always get the urge to lock myself in a room (or lay out on a blanket next to the pool) and reread every wonderful, fantastic book I have ever read in my life.  Crazy, huh?

I think this stems back from my youth, when I used to participate in the summer reading challenge at the public library.  The concept was pretty easy.  You set a goal of how many books you plan to read during the summer, then you keep a list of all the books you successfully complete.  If by the end of the summer you reach your goal, you get some type of fabulous prize.  I don't quite remember what the prize was....probably because I was too focused on seeing how many books I could finish in the 2.5 months before school started to really care.  I was probably the only kid in the program who cared more about the act of reading books than getting to the ultimate end prize.  

If you read this blog with any regularity (all two of you), then you know I am a bit of a nerd when it comes to reading.  And when I say nerd I mean that I love to read, will read anywhere at anytime, and have willingly chosen to stay home and read on more than one occasion.  I don't see this as a character flaw, in fact I see this as a time investment toward my hopefully future career as a full-time writer.  I firmly believe that all good writers are also avid readers so really, I am just doing what I believe goes along with the job description.  

But back to the urge to read.  Dean and I spent a long and relaxing weekend at my parent's house for the 4th of July holiday, and while there we crammed in a number of hours by the pool soaking up the sun and listening to the sprinklers.  Seriously, it was pretty close to absolute perfection.  And what made the entire scene even more perfect in my eyes was the book in my hands.  I used my poolside time to finally finish up Margaret George's wonderfully researched novel Elizabeth I, and then proceeded to start a new book on my Kindle that I have been wanting to read for years.  A little gem entitled Sex and the City.  I mean really, I've been watching the show for ages so why shouldn't I see where it all stemmed from?  And it all felt so good.  To finish a book then instantly start on a new one.  To have open hours, open DAYS, that I could fill doing nothing but reading.  Of course reading wasn't all I did, but the notion that if I wanted to I very well could, that alone was enough for me.

Throughout the weekend I often times felt the urge to sit out on the porch with not just one, but a pile of books next to me.  A pile of soon to be conquests, a to-do list to be checked off, one glorious read after another.  Yesterday when we arrived home I sat down in my office and examined all the books on the shelves; some I've read numerous times, others I still haven't found the time to finish (or start).  I sat there and stared at the spines, took some off the shelf and read the backs, and I instantly wanted to read them all.  Again and for the first time. 


As I said earlier, I'm not sure if it's something to do with summer or something to do with being on vacation and finally having the time to dedicate to marathon reading, but I am in such a state right now it's all I can do to force myself to get dressed, go to work, and not lay around on the couch all day and indulge myself with book after book.  

Ahhh....why didn't I become a teacher?  They get summers off!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment