Tuesday, June 21, 2011

On Themes


I read a lot of blogs, some religiously, some only on occasion.  Some are professional blogs while others are just everyday people sharing their thoughts and ideas.  I think our fascination (or some people's fascination) with blogs is the fact that these blogs are another source of insight into another person.  Compelling characters always make the best stories, and in that same vein blogs with compelling authors make the best reading. 

One thing I notice about most of the blogs I read is that they all have some kind of theme.  Maybe not in all the posts, but usually there is an underlying commonality that is shared throughout, something that ties everything together.  Reading back through some of my posts, I'm not sure that there is any kind of theme.  I guess in some way writing and writing is a bit of a common denominator through a lot of my posts, but they are scattered throughout and overall the blog just feels kind of.....random. 

Is this bad?  Am I floating in the blogosphere with no direction, completely wasting my time?  Should I have a mission, a goal with each post, or is it okay to write on a whim and mix things up? 

In a way I'm not entirely surprised that I never settled on a true theme for my blog.  Back in the day when people still burned CD's (and yes I still do that), I never stuck to one type of music for a single CD.  I would mix some rap songs in with some country, throw in a couple tunes from Ray Charles, then maybe finish it out with a throwback song from my middle school days.  I like randomness, I like surprise, and sometimes I just don't feel like committing to a set direction. 

I feel like I'm something of a walking contradiction.  On the one hand I thrive on routine and having a set plan, and on the other I yearn for change and unexpectedness.  How exactly can these two very different feelings coexist within me?

Maybe this blog is the outlet.  The sounding board for the random side of me to explore those thoughts and feelings that the routine side of me doesn't always embrace.  If that is the case, then I am prepared to sail along with my blog, theme-free and ever-changing.  I won't cage myself into a single topic but will instead dare myself to write about anything and everything that interests me on a given day.

And on those days when nothing seems to interest me, I can always blog about my love for Peanuts.  Random or not, one must always have a fallback plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment