Friday, May 13, 2011

Classic Nickelodeon


I don’t watch a lot of children’s television anymore, for obvious reasons.  I’m 26, I don’t have kids, and I have a husband which means I watch (sometimes against my will) a fair amount of sports programming.  ESPN even has its own special button on our remote.  All this aside, I am somewhat aware of the program choices out there for kids today and I have to say that I feel sorry for them.  I mean, I’m sure they believe what they are watching is just about the coolest thing ever, but guess what?

They are wrong. 

Travel back with me if you will to the early 90’s.  These were the years that encompassed of the bulk of my childhood and were also one of the best times in recent history to be a kid…..that is, of course, we are gauging “best times” solely on TV programming.  What made this possible you may ask?  Oh, you know, just a little network called Nickelodeon. 

I firmly believe that Nickelodeon was ahead of its time in the quality of shows it offered to the youth of America.  Compare any of the classic Nickelodeon shows to what kids see today and the differences are blatantly obvious.  In terms of quality, the 90’s has current day television beat by a long shot.  Quite the bold statement, isn't it?  The shows of classic Nickelodeon, while still at times a bit silly (they were for kids, after all), had a level of maturity to them that is missing from TV today.  Okay, maybe maturity isn’t exactly the correct word.  I mean, a lot of classic Nickelodeon’s legacy is tied up in the pouring of green slime over unsuspecting victims.  But the old Nick shows had something…..some special element that is flat out missing from the shows of today.  

Most people look back fondly on the shows of their youth.  Haven’t you ever heard your parents talk fondly about the old shows they used to watch, don’t we ourselves hold a special place in our hearts for what we used to watch growing up?  I don’t think this happens very often as we get older, but during those carefree childhood years the TV shows we become involved in will make a lasting impression on us, will stay with us into adulthood, and essentially become a part of our own personal histories.  

An example.  As I’ve stated many times before I am a confirmed horror junkie.  I love to be scared, I love a good mystery, and for me it doesn’t get any better than curling up on the couch, turning off the lights, and indulging in a scary movie.  I can’t pinpoint exactly when my fascination with the macabre occurred, but I do know that as a kid Nickelodeon gave me a show that without a doubt further increased my love of the dark side.  “Are You Afraid of the Dark?” was, in my humble opinion, a pure genius of a show.  A group of kids knows as the Midnight Society gather around a campfire and do their best to scare each other silly with ghost stories.  As the person is telling the story, it is subsequently being acted out for the viewer.  The intro to the show was delightfully creepy, which you can view here.  And the stories themselves are utterly fantastic.  Watching these same episodes as an adult I still find myself getting freaked out.  I don’t think there has ever been another show on TV like “Are You Afraid of the Dark?” that can match the caliber of the original.  I encourage all of you to go to You Tube right now and watch an episode.  Just keep in mind that the show is designed for kids so the acting caliber isn’t going to be superb, but the stories themselves are what really make this show work.  Isn’t it funny how it always comes back to the story?

While I won’t go into too much detail on some of my other favorites, including but not limited to “Clarissa Explains it All” (I so wanted to be her), “Salute Your Shorts”, “Hey Dude”, “Welcome Freshmen”, “The Adventures of Pete & Pete”, “Ren & Stimpy".....we could be here all day. 

We always like to think that our generation got it right.  Clothing, cars, TV, you name it and we will claim at some point in our lives to have done it better than anyone else.  But in the case of classic childrens television, the early 90's have it in the bag.  Nickelodeon has always been a fantastic network for kids, but during the golden age of programming referenced above it's hard to imagine how they could have done any better.  I still look back on these shows fondly, and watching old episodes is like a wonderful little trip through time.  And I'll say it again, I feel sorry for kids today because they are really missing out.

The classics of anything will never die, and I sincerely hope that these shows are soon revived in reruns or made more accessible on DVD.  Given the quality of most television shows today, I for one would rather spend my time watching 90's Nickelodeon.  And yes, I realize that statement officially brings me one step closer to sounding "old."     

No comments:

Post a Comment