Friday, May 14, 2010

Rediscovering Grisham

Don't you ever get in the mood to read a really good book of fiction?  You know the kind, the mass market paperbacks that are sold in virtually every store from Barnes and Noble to Safeway.  Some people like to consider themselves literary snobs and shy away from "popular" fiction, but I for one get a healthy craving for it every now and then.  Which is why, a couple weeks ago, I finally picked up the worn paperback of John Grisham's "The Firm" my mom had given me years ago.

Oh my gosh....why did I wait so long to read this book?  I've ready Grisham before and found his work enjoyable, but I'm kicking myself for waiting so long to pick up "The Firm."  It was the perfect fast paced, action-packed story with plenty of mystery and thrilling narrative worked into the plot.  It's the kind of book that gets you excited to be reading, which was exactly what I needed considering the last book I tried to read was going nowhere and I had to give it up about halfway through.  Sad, right?  And trust me....I NEVER give up on books, but I had reached the point where enough was enough.

So here's the story at a glance.  Young lawyer Mitch is straight out of Harvard Law, and entertaining offers from various firms.  He is approached by a rather obscure firm and basically offered a ton of money, a new house, a new BMW, and to have all his student loans paid off.  He is guaranteed to become a millionaire in a matter of months.  So of course Mitch jumps at the opportunity, but quickly discovers that the firm he works for is a major coverup for one of the most notorious Mob families in existence.  When the FBI gets involved, things go from bad to worse and Mitch gets caught in a very dangerous game where almost everyone involved wants him eliminated.

Really addicting story, and really well written.  The pacing is superb and overall the entire prose is highly entertaining.  I was so impressed by the quality of "The Firm" that I am embarking on another Grisham novel, "Runaway Jury."  I'm kind of addicted now, two books in a row.  After Grisham I might move on to Tess Gerritsen, who has written some very good medical mystery novels.  I think I caught the mystery bug, so I plan to keep riding that wave until I become fixated on something else.  Next up:  I will share with you all my prospective summer reading list.  I'm sure you're on the edge of your seats.  Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment